Cathwel Service was founded by Father Francis J. O’Neil in 1949. It was a branch in Taiwan that was part of the U.S. Catholic Relief Service. Its main tasks at that time were to import and distribute the goods that were given by USA as aid.
Due to changes within the local society, Cathwel Service gradually turned to social welfare and service. Meanwhile, Cathwel Service became an independent institution and set up the foundation in 1984.
As of 2004, the Jonah House had been established which was the first place where all the services provided by Cathwel Service came together at one place.